Death vs Death

Half a prayer, a stifled scream
I woke up sweating, it was just a dream

Panting hard, I tried to think
Eyes open wide, scared to blink

‘Only a dream’ I told myself
Put the fears back on the shelf

But deep within I hear a rumble
‘Why not you? You too will crumble’

Half a prayer, or not even that?
A stifled scream, is it all I got?

I know not many get the chance
To pack up and say goodbye in advance

The shuddering dread of approaching death
Versus the stifled scream, in my last breath

Do I want this? Or do I want that?
‘Not your choice!’ Destiny spat

I turn my body on the bed
And turn the thought in my head

My tired body, a ticking clock
Destiny’s blows it cannot block

It’s a thought to behold and keep
But I slowly return to slumber deep

Unknown to me, my destiny does hold
A secret hitherto untold
To which death was my soul pledged?
Can’t wait for life to unfold…

No comments: